Saturday 25 May 2013

Beau is Prince Charming Part 2

Beau is Prince Charming

Part 2

Thought I'd start this post off with a photo showing the seams from underneath, ironed and folded back so they'll sit flush against Beau.
 
 
Once the lower side was sewn together and ironed I lined up the maroon on the top half so it would match the maroon on the lower.  It doesn't lie at the end of the blue like the lower half because I created a feaux jacket out of the blue.
 
I blame sewing until 3am most nights and getting up early to ride and get everything done during the day but I really struggled with the feaux jacket tails.  I just couldn't get the lining to come out right so that the stitched were concealed and it was safely tucked right way onto the jacket. 
I have since conquered this problem but my foggy middle of the night solution was to painstakingly hem both pieces and pin them together and sew them from the outside. 
 
Not as pretty as the desired effect and took forever! But on the positive I did manage to keep the stitches fairly neat and it doesn't look too bad. 
 
 
The above pic shows the off the feaux jacket tails and the start of the decorations.
 
I have also jumped ahead a bit.  Before starting on the decorations I sewed the the upper and lower layers together inside out to conceal the seams, leaving a gap at the tail as per usual.
I then turned it right way out, re-ironed it to get the edges crisp and pinned the velcro in place.
 
Don't worry too much about the stitches you can see connecting the maroon to the blue, they will be mostly concealed by the belt once its in place.
 
To secure the ribbon in place I ran stitching down either side of the ribbon.  I didn't want it to fold up and flap if I sewed down the middle, and I also didn't want the stitching to be too obvious so I concealed it in the darker edging of the ribbon.
 
I am quite proud of how well that worked and how straight the stitching is!
 
Here's a sneak peak at the underside so you can see the stitching.
This photo also shows the thick sections where I have gone back when sewing to secure the stitches at either end.
 
 
The gold bit in the middle of the outfit was painstakingly hand sewn on!  It is a fairly fancy connecter like a button but cooler.
Theres a bauble in the center of it which hooks through a circle in the design securing it closed.  I sewing it down securely so it won't come apart. It's not meant to be functional in any way, I just thought it made a great bit of decoration and fitted in with the outfit perfectly.
 
: )
 

No comments:

Post a Comment