Thursday 23 January 2014

Viski's Tuxedo Progress

Viski's Tuxedo


So for my first commission I was understandably ( I think) nervous about the fact that I would be working off measurements and not able to fit and refit the outfit to get it perfect. 
I took about half a million different measurements! Still managed to miss some key ones, but luckily the massive amount of different measurements allowed me to work out the missing ones.
 
I drew up some designs and these are the results.
The ones on the right hand side are working out the measurements, of the ones on the left I have decided to make the bottom right and the middle design.
I will be making 4 jackets, 3 out of cotton and one final design in satin.
The first one will just be a standard jacket so that Viski can try it on for size and get used to wearing a jacket.
The second and third will be cotton versions of the coat tails and jacket style tuxedo.
Once these are done, Viski's mum will pick her very favourite and I'll make it in beautiful satin so Viski will look like a total star on his mum's wedding day.
 
 

This is the basic cut out pattern of the measurements.  From this I cut a replica and shaped it to a more rounded, sleeker style.
This comparison shows the difference between the measurements and the final shape.
A big difference between this design and my regular outfits, apart from the huge size difference (Viski is a Fox Terrior x) is the uneven chest straps.  I have made the left side longer to accommodate chest detailing for the front of the tuxedo.
Once I had the basic shape I cut it out in the black cotton and sewed it together, leaving the end of the longer chest strap open to turn the jacket right side out.

The last thing to do was add some Velcro to the chest and tummy straps!
I managed to track down some awesome black Velcro which is almost invisible against the black cotton.
 
Beau and Honey gave the outfit a test run to show how TINY it is!!!
 
Once Viski has tried it on I'll either be modifying the pattern to fit properly and making another version of this in the correct size or I'll be making the cotton versions of the fancy designs.
 
:)
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment