Wednesday 24 April 2013

Honey is a Pink Fairy - Finished!!!

Finished Fairy Dress!!

 

The Final Steps!

 
 
Last time with the green fairy dress (http://www.honeyis.blogspot.com.au/2013/03/honey-is-fairy-wrap-up.html) I did a two tone skirt, but reviewing the finished product I decided I wanted to try a three tone skirt. 
 
The skirt is all chiffon and for the pink colour scheme I have chosen pastel pink, magentery hot pink and purple to go into the skirt.
* The one thing I would change about my fabric choice is I would get all the materials the same type of chiffon.  I bought the magenta fabric at the same time I got the pale pink cotton and got the other two colours much later.  They didn't have the colours in the same type of chiffon as the magenta I had already bought so the material is slightly different but not detrimentally so.   
 
 
Photos above were me playing around with which way the colours looked best.  As you can see, Honey picked the light to dark combination on the right.
 
: )
 
 
 
All the pretty petals cut out and laid together to get an idea of how they'll look as a finished skirt.
You can see in this shot that the original material I bought (the magenta) is not as metallic or sparkly as the other colours.  It's actually better quality, more like you would use for a formal dress.  If I did it again I would go sparkly with that too, its more suited for pretty fairies.

 
I tried it on Honey once the first layer was sewn on to check the length and make sure it was in the right spot. 
 
Honey is saying 'where's the rest of my skirt?'
 
I gathered and attached each layer individually.  It wasn't bulky like the green skirt, which was the goal, but it was very time consuming.
Honey is a fairy round 3 when I get around to it will have be sewn by colour.  So all of the pale pink will be gathered together as one bit of material and then attached to the skirt. 
This will make it a 3 layered skirt rather than 7!
Much more manageable.
 
It hung down and looked a bit daggy only attached at the top so I sewed it to the side.  The added benefits was that the skirt then belled out like a bubble which made it fuller and prettier. 
On Honey is a fairy part 3 I would consider toying with using Tulle to stand it out even more.  
 
 
The picture on the left is the view of the inside of the bubble and the picture on the right is the outside view. 
 
 
Finished skirt!!!
Was tricky to get a clear photo because of the sparkly reflective quality of the chiffon.




 
 Honey LOVED her fairy skirt!!!
 
There was one massive moment of disaster where I was ironing the top layer down.  I was ironing the top layer down because instead of sewing it downwards, I sewed it up so I could fold it down and it would both hide the stitches and be more fluffed up.
The problem was the iron unexpectedly spitting out a cloud of steam melting a hole in the skirt. 
 
Luckily you can't tell unless you're up close or looking at it because all the layers disguise it a little.
This is the offending hole, inconveniently front and centre but luckily fairly inconspicuous. 
 
It is a tiny bit bare with just the skirt and nothing else.  As it is a 'fairy' dress it will eventually have wings, but I need to figure oiut how to make these.  The alternative is buying child's costume wings, which do quite conveniently fit Honey.

If I did get the child wings though I wouldn't leave them with their tie on/elastic arm loops.  What I would do is sew a patch to the wings and to the costume so they could be stuck on with velcro like the christmas fairy outfit. 
 
Another bit of ornamentation I think would work nicely would be small petals around the neckline.  I would probably do these in the three colours but alternating in a single layer. 
 
I am unfortunately unable to add these bits and pieces just yet because I have a fortnight to design and create a Cinderella costume for Honey, Prince Charming for Beau and Prince Adam (Beast as a human in Beauty in the Beast) for my Husband.  I also need to organise accessories and jewellery for my Belle costume and help mum design the Belle costume. 
 
Lots to get done in such a short time.  This hectic schedule is the reason it has been a little while between posts. 
The costumes are all done now and the party done.  The costumes are a little worse for wear from playing with a staffy friend all night but they looked fantastic on the day!
 
I can't wait to share them with you.
 
: )
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment