Tuesday 30 April 2013

Honey is Cinderella!

Honey is Cinderella

Part 1

 
 
My housewarming theme was Disney! I couldn't have a dressup party at home without the puppies getting involved!!!
 
Honey and Beau went as Cinderella and Prince Charming.
 

 
This was Honey's inspiration.  Blue with a full skirt and paler blue foofy bits on the hip. 
 
I decided to brave satin for this outfit despite how convenient and easy cotton was to work with.  What's a princess without a big shiny dress.
 
The basic outline of the outfit was quite quick and easy because I already had the pattern from Honey's fairy dress.  I trimmed the paper pattern down to match the adjustments I made in fitting the fairy dress so I didn't have to change the satin in case it was harder to work with. 
 
 
I was especially worried that the satin would be slippery while it was face to face for the main sewing so I had TONS of pins to make sure it didn't even wriggle! 
Whether it was the pins or just that satin was not as scary as it looked to sew, it was actually no harder than the cotton to work with. 
I believe part of it was that I was sewing two pieces of the same type of fabric together and another factor was the lack of stretch in the satin. 
 
Like with the other costumes, I sewed around the outside leaving a gap at the tail end to turn it out the right way.
 
 
I encountered a problem with the satin pulling in and bunching in the corners. 
 
 
My mum recommended turning the outfit inside out again and making little cuts in the corners, every 2 - 3 cm, stopping just short of the stiches.
If you look closely at the above picture you can just see the snippets. 

 
This above photo is after the cuts.  It is not perfect but is much improved!
 
After getting all the seams done I quickly added the velcro so Honey could try it on!  
 
 
Tested the fit and it is perfect! Loving the look of the satin! Its so smooth and shiny.
Very princessy!
 
 
Just a final piccy to show how perfect the length is. 
You can see here where the outer seam is right at the back but this will be covered by Honey's skirt. 
 
*  *  *
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment