Saturday 9 March 2013

Honey is a Fairy! Part 2

Honey is a Fairy

Part 2

 

Finally ready to get back into it, I had track down where all the sewing stuff had ended up after the move!
Luckily the basic green part of the costume had survived the move without losing any of its pins and was still in one piece ready to be sewn up. : D
 
Both sides of the belly strap. 

I sewed the tummy straps seperately first to get some practice with an easy section before moving onto the main part of the outfit. I had to redo my first one because the fabric kept moving and I found the thread was jamming and breaking.
 
  •  I found the only way to combat the stretchy slipperiness of the top fabric was to add extra pins so they were super close together. No more than 2 cm between pins otherwise the fabric moved all over the place.

Once I was feeling (somewhat) confident with the fabric I was able to start on the rest of the outfit!

I sewed the front of it with the chest straps and both edges leaving a gap about the width of my hand over the tail end. I picked the tail end to leave open for two reasons.

  1. The main reason was because the stitches that had to be done on the outside would be hidden under the skirt.
  2. The second reason was because it would be less fiddly than trying to squeeze that whole costume through a tiny chest strap!


Once I turned it right way out I folded the seam inside itself, pinning it down so it couldn't escape!
It only took a few second to put the final stiches into the structural part of the outfit and then it was done!!


When the excitement died down, I ironed it all flat so the edges were crisp and it looked nice and neat.

It's starting to look like a dog coat at least, and my stitches are pretty straight now. Have mastered the stretchy fabric (somewhat), but will still avoid it in the future in favor of more agreeable materials.

: )
 

No comments:

Post a Comment