Saturday 9 March 2013

Honey is a Fairy Part 3

Honey is a Fairy

Part 3

 
With the main 'jacket' part of the costume done, the next step is the skirt!
 
I started with two layers of the pale green chiffon, cut straight.  The next layer was pale blue chiffon cut in petal shapes.  The petal shape was done on impulse but it is definately my favourite part of the outfit!  It was also fairly quick and easy.
 
To top it off was an alternating green and blue layer of little petal shaped chiffon pieces.
 
I made the skirt twice the length it needed to be across the top so that I could gather it and give the skirt more volume.
 
I pinned all the layers together!  I kept these pins close together like with the slippery material because there were so many layers to hold in place!
 
I then sewed them together with two rows of straight stitch.  They needed to be straight stitch instead of the zig zag I used on the main so the gathering would work.  I did two rows for strength and gathered both.
 
The chiffon was so much easier to sew!!! The skirt was suprisingly quick to make.  I'm also pretty stoked with how straight the stitching turned out!! Certainly getting better.
:)
 
The bit that took the longest for the skirt was the gathering.  One thing I learned while doing this part is that gathering sucks! :P and anyone who has to do it on a regular basis has my respect!  Threads snapped, fingers hurt and its SUPER fiddly!!!
 

Despite how inconvenient it is to do I still LOVE the result and will use it again in future costume designs!!
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. The skirt looks so pretty! I can't believe you made it!

    Eileen

    ReplyDelete